Acquisition of Turkish Citizenship
There are multiple ways that a foreigner who wants to acquire Turkish citizenship can apply, and each way has its own application conditions. Below we have explained the ways and conditions of earning in general. However, the path, process and required documents will change depending on your concrete situation and the conditions you provide. We recommend that you apply and manage the process together with an expert lawyer. You can contact us for your questions and legal requests on the subject.
Acquiring Turkish Citizenship by Decision of the Competent Authority
A foreigner who wants to acquire Turkish citizenship can acquire Turkish citizenship with the decision of the competent authority if he meets the conditions specified in the Law. However, meeting the required conditions does not provide an absolute right to acquire citizenship.
Required conditions for application:
• To be mature and discriminating according to their own national law or, if stateless, according to Turkish laws.
• Residing in Turkey for five consecutive years, backwards from the date of application
• Confirming with his/her actions that he/she has decided to settle in Turkey
• Not having a disease that poses a danger to general health
• Having good morals
• Being able to speak Turkish enough
• To have an income or occupation that will provide for himself and his dependents in Turkey
• Not to be in a situation that would constitute an obstacle in terms of national security and public order.
Obtaining Turkish Citizenship by Investment
Foreigners who are not in a state to pose an obstacle in terms of national security and public order and who meet one of the following conditions acquire Turkish citizenship. Conditions for acquiring Turkish citizenship by investment:
• Foreigners who bring a fixed capital investment of at least 500,000 USD or equivalent in foreign currency or Turkish lira, or
• Those who have purchased immovable property worth at least USD 250,000 or equivalent in foreign currency or have signed a preliminary sales contract, provided that they do not sell within three years from the date of purchase.
• Those who deposit a minimum of USD 500,000 in Turkish banks, provided that it is not withdrawn for three years, or those who purchase government debt instruments
• Those who purchase real estate investment fund participation shares or venture capital investment funds with at least 500,000 USD or equivalent foreign currency or Turkish lira
• Those who provide employment for at least 50 people
Acquiring Turkish Citizenship by Marriage
Marriage with a Turkish citizen does not directly acquire Turkish citizenship. However, foreigners who have been married to a Turkish citizen for at least three years and whose marriage continues can apply to acquire Turkish citizenship. In applicants;
• Living in family unity,
• Not engaging in an activity incompatible with the union of marriage,
• Not to be in a situation that would constitute an obstacle in terms of national security and public order,
• conditions are sought.
Foreigners who have acquired Turkish citizenship through marriage, if they have good intentions in marriage, retain their Turkish citizenship.
1. Acquiring Turkish Citizenship Through Adoption
A minor who has been adopted by a Turkish citizen may acquire Turkish citizenship as of the date of the decision, if he does not have a situation that would constitute an obstacle in terms of national security and public order.
2. Acquiring Turkish Citizenship with the Right to Choose
Children who lose their Turkish citizenship due to their parents can acquire Turkish citizenship by using their right to choose within three years from their adulthood.
Contact us for detailed information on how to acquire Turkish citizenship, what are the ways to acquire Turkish citizenship or the conditions for obtaining Turkish citizenship.